November 20, 2015

Tisdale Celebrates Long-Term Care Centre Grand Opening

Health care workers, families, residents and special guests today celebrated the grand opening of Newmarket Place in Tisdale which includes a long-term care addition that will improve services for its residents.  Rural and Remote Health Minister Greg Ottenbreit and Carrot River Valley MLA Fred Bradshaw joined in the celebration.

“The addition and renovations to Newmarket Place are improving the delivery of health care services in Tisdale,” Ottenbreit said.  “It is important to this government that long-term care residents have a safe and comfortable place to live and that health care professionals have the work environment they need to provide quality care.  This facility is now meeting those needs.”

“The success of the Newmarket Place project can be attributed to the impressive contributions of this community,” Bradshaw said.  “An incredible amount of hard work and dedication was demonstrated by the Tisdale Trust Committee, the Town of Tisdale and the area municipalities.  Community involvement and a generous bequest from the estate of Lorne and Gizella Carson made this project possible.”

Newmarket Manor was renamed Newmarket Place after the addition was completed.  Newmarket Place replaces the Sasko Park Lodge and provides a total of 71 long-term care beds and one respite bed.  The previously-existing building was renovated, as were sections of the adjacent Tisdale Hospital in order to connect the two facilities.

“Newmarket Place will serve the residents of Tisdale and area long into the future and be an example of how a group of like-minded stakeholders and citizens can work together to build a legacy for the future,” Kelsey Trail Regional Health Authority Chairperson Rennie Harper said.

The provincial government contributed $16.4 million toward the project, which represents 80 per cent of total project costs.  Local funding covered the remaining 20 per cent.

“Tisdale is pleased to have been selected as one of the communities to receive this investment in seniors’ care,” Tisdale Mayor Al Jellicoe said.  “Thank you to Minister Ottenbreit and MLA Bradshaw for championing this project at the provincial level as well as everyone who worked tirelessly and contributed financially from all the surrounding communities to make Newmarket Place a reality.”

In February 2009, the Government of Saskatchewan announced the replacement of 13 long-term care facilities in the province. Newmarket Place is one of eleven projects now completed, with one in the construction phase in Kelvington and one in the planning phase in Meadow Lake.