Saskatchewan Order of Merit Recipients Announced
Lieutenant Governor Vaughn Solomon Schofield today announced the recipients for the 2016 Saskatchewan Order of Merit, the province’s highest honour.
"It's a great privilege for me to present the Saskatchewan Order of Merit to 10 such accomplished individuals," Solomon Schofield said. "They have each made enormous contributions to our province, and are most deserving of this prestigious honour."
The 2016 recipients are:
- Jo Anne Bannatyne-Cugnet, Retired Nurse, Author and Business Owner, Weyburn
- Valerie Creighton, President and CEO, Canada Media Fund, Stoughton
- Steve Dechka, Former President and CEO, Canpotex, Singapore and Saskatoon
- Keith Downey, O.C., F.R.S.C., Research Scientist (Emeritus), Okotoks, Alberta and Saskatoon
- Isabelle Impey, Social Worker and Child Advocate, Prince Albert
- George Lafond, Treaty Commissioner of Saskatchewan, Victoria, British Columbia and Muskeg Lake Cree Nation
- Eldon McIntyre, Businessman, Swift Current
- Wilf Perreault, Artist, Regina
- Gordon Rawlinson, C.M., CEO, Rawlco Radio, Calgary, Alberta and Waskesiu Lake
Dr. Anne Luke, whose appointment to the Order was announced last year, will also be invested with the medal of the Order at the ceremony.
Established in 1985, the Saskatchewan Order of Merit recognizes excellence, achievement and contributions to the social, cultural and economic well-being of the province and its people. It acknowledges individuals who have made their mark in the arts, agriculture, business, industry, community leadership, occupations, professions, public service, research and volunteer service.
The Saskatchewan Order of Merit takes precedence over all other provincial honours and awards.
The Saskatchewan Order of Merit ceremony will take place on May 24 in Regina with Solomon Schofield presiding.