MEEP Supports Regina’s Residential Road Renewal
Today, the Government of Saskatchewan and the City of Regina celebrated the contribution of $6.4 million in provincial funding under the Municipal Economic Enhancement Program (MEEP) toward the municipality’s 2021 Residential Road Renewal Program.
“Our provincial government is proud to play a role helping Regina’s road renewal plans move forward to benefit the community,” Government Relations Minister Lori Carr said. “MEEP will provide $150 million to municipalities across this great province to support investments in infrastructure to stimulate economic recovery and encourage local job creation to keep Saskatchewan strong, in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Residential Road Renewal is a comprehensive program developed by the City of Regina in 2015 to improve road surfaces, replace sections or full lengths of sidewalks, curbs and gutters, in coordination with underground utility work whenever possible.
“Residents have identified the condition of local roads as a priority and through the Residential Road Renewal Program, we are able to focus on those streets,” City of Regina Mayor Michael Fougere said. “With this investment we can renew an additional 4.5 kilometres in 2021. We thank the Government of Saskatchewan for their contribution to infrastructure projects in our city.”
Since 2014, the city has allocated $58.2 million and improved 112.8 kilometres of residential roads.
In 2021, the city will add nine new renewal projects to the construction season including:
- Rebuild Academy Park Road - Academy Park Road to Academy Park Road
- Rebuild Calder Crescent - Jubilee Avenue to Jubilee Avenue
- Rebuild Chisholm Road - Shannon Road to Grant Road
- Rebuild 4th Avenue North - Garnet Street to Retallack Street
- Rehabilitate Magee Crescent - Sangster Boulevard to Sangster Boulevard
- Rehabilitate Centennial Street - Pells Drive to Kramer Blvd
- Rehabilitate Kutarna Crescent - Harding Street to Harding Street
- Rehabilitate Willowview Street - Oakview Drive to Elmview Road
- Rehabilitate McTavish Street - Dewdney Avenue to 4th Avenue