What to Know If a Door-to-Door Salesperson Comes to Your Door
The Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority (FCAA) is reminding consumers about their contract rights if a door-to-door salesperson comes to their home. Door-to-door sales activity is permitted if salespersons follow the existing Government of Saskatchewan guidelines.
All door-to-door salespeople, also known as direct sellers, are required to be licensed in Saskatchewan and they must follow specific contract requirements and cancellation rules. To view a comprehensive list of licensed door-to-door sellers visit FCAA411.
If a salesperson comes to your door, here are some rights that you should be aware of:
- All contracts must be in writing, unless the sale is less than $100;
- All direct sales contracts, written or verbal, must include/be accompanied by a written statement of cancellation rights;
- You have 10 days to cancel a contract and you do not need a reason to cancel; and
- If a contract is cancelled, the vendor must refund you all money received under the contract within 15 days of the cancellation.
If you decide to purchase a good or service from a door-to-door seller, here are some tips you should consider:
- Ask to see a copy of their licence and check to see if they are listed on FCAA411.
- Read the contract carefully including the fine print.
- Ask questions if you do not understand something.
- Do not feel pressured to purchase on the spot.
- Keep down payments to a minimum, the higher the amount paid in advance, the greater the risk of loss.
- Do not hand over a blank cheque.
- Check to see if they are listed in the Better Business Bureau directory (1-888-352-7601) and if so, view their rating and read customer reviews.
If you have questions about door to door sellers please contact the FCAA's Consumer Protection Division toll free at 1-877-880-5550 or by email at [email protected].
For more information about contract rights and cancellations rules visit https://fcaa.gov.sk.ca/consumers-investors-pension-plan-members/consumers/consumers-of-goods-and-services/purchasing-from-a-door-to-door-salesperson.