October 30, 2015

Grand Opening for New Kerrobert and District Health Centre

Rural and Remote Health Minister Greg Ottenbreit and Economy Minister and Kindersley MLA Bill Boyd, today joined in a celebration to mark the grand opening of the Kerrobert and District Health Centre.

Media preview

“Health care workers need a safe and modern environment to deliver high-quality health services, and our government is committed to supporting health care infrastructure projects to ensure that the needs of Saskatchewan patients are met,” Ottenbreit said.  “This facility represents an important step forward in improving health care infrastructure in our province, and it is already having a positive impact on the health services provided in Kerrobert.”


“I’m proud of our government’s collaborative work with this community to bring this facility to life,” Boyd said.  “I thank the Kerrobert, Luseland and District Wellness Foundation, the Town of Kerrobert and the municipalities in the area for their support of this project.”

The Kerrobert and District Health Centre provides in-patient acute care, long-term care, diagnostic services and emergency services all under one roof.  The scope of care includes a physician clinic and 38 beds: four for acute care, four for flex care and 30 for long-term care.

“The Kerrobert, Luseland and District Wellness Foundation, in conjunction with Heartland Health Region, has worked very hard to see this new integrated health facility completed,” Kerrobert, Luseland and District Wellness Foundation Chair Stew Seversen said.  “We spent more than 10 years getting here, and our corporate partners, municipalities and residents have looked forward to this day.  We thank all our stakeholders who made this happen.”

The Government of Saskatchewan contributed $18.5 million in capital funding which represents 80 per cent of total project costs.  Local funding covered the remaining 20 per cent.

“Strong partnerships are key to a strong integrated health care system,” Heartland Health Region Board Chair Richard Anderson said.  “Over the past several years, we have seen the people of Kerrobert and the surrounding RMs come together with health care decision-makers and workers to design, build and staff this state-of-the-art facility that will serve the people of our communities for years to come.”

“Our community is very pleased to see the opening of our new health centre,” Kerrobert Mayor Erhard Poggemiller said.  “Having this health centre will hopefully keep our youth in our community which will help to make our businesses and schools prosper.  We also want to give special thanks to the province for their assistance in this facility.  We are very proud of this facility and hopefully it will serve us well for many years to come.”

In February 2009, the Government of Saskatchewan announced the replacement of 13 long-term care facilities in the province.  The Kerrobert and District Health Centre is one of eleven projects completed, with one in the construction phase in Kelvington and one in the planning phase in Meadow Lake.